Re: serial problems

From: Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@MIT.EDU)
Date: Tue Oct 24 2000 - 12:13:25 EST

   Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 11:14:13 +0200
   From: octave klaba <oles@ovh.net>

> Can you actually give me some details of how your system "crashed"? It
> certainly shouldn't have. Kermit will sometimes hang waiting for the
> terminal to flush if it's enabled hardware flow control and there are
> characters pending to be flushed. ^Z will generally break out of the
> waiting loop, at which point you can kill the kermit process with a kill
> command. ^C will also break you out back to the kermit prompt, at which
> point a second "quit" command will generally work.

   the server just freezes. nothing on the screan. trying to ping the server
   I realized the server is "crashed".

You'll have to give me very detailed description of what sort of
hardware you have, etc. I can't duplicate this on any of my
systems.....

   I posted this "problem" a while ago, and someone told me it is a
   known bug !? it crashs when you want to start the serial connection
   (on redhat /etc/rc.d/init.d/serial). it arrived only when you put
   a cable on a serial port and you do not connect it anywhere. it is
   beacase "the serial connection is opened" someone told me.

First of all, Red Hat doesn't install /etc/rc.d/init.d/serial. (Checked
under both Red Hat 7.0 and Red Hat 6.2). That script comes with some
version of setserial that I ship, but in its default configuration it
certainly won't crash machines. You'll have to send me a copy of your
rc.d/init.d/serial script, plus my /etc/serial.conf for me to debug it.

Please also send me a detailed listing of what sort of hardware devices
you have, lspci -vv, etc. I can assure you that most folks haven't been
having this problem, so something on your system must be seriously
screwed up.

                                                - Ted