[ADMIN] some list related topics ..

From: Matti Aarnio (matti.aarnio@zmailer.org)
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 15:25:49 EST

We (abuse@vger.kernel.org -> me & DaveM) got just reports that
somebody is diverting incoming email to some sort of auto-responding
ticket system.

The thing does not carry original message "Received:" headers in replies,
and is reporting invalid URL.

Independent of that, people with supposedly working addresses
are sometimes bouncing:

  1) because their backup MXes don't like the domain they have
     (configuration problem somewhere, you can choose in between
      the DNS data writer, and the backup MX admin)

  2) that ISP's system is for some reason loosing track of
     part of their user database.

     Couple days ago SGI.COM had apparently lost its external
     system primary alias file for a few hours... I have seen
     similar blunders here and there, cisco.com had blunder
     that some months ago too. -- things vary, but usually
     we refrain from deleting recipients if "a bit too many"
     are bouncing from some big site...

  3) some ISP systems yield 500 series errors with text:
        "system is temporarily busy"
     or something of that effect. Now THAT is really offensive
     stupidity by the ISP software folks...

For the subset 1 above, I am preparing to begin to run regularly
(weekly very least, daily possibly) scanner which tries interactive
testing of recipients address at all of user's domain's MX servers,
and if any of the MX systems for user's domain gives a bad
response for subscriber's address, that user gets the log report
and some pointers on what to do.