Re: 2.2 -> 2.4 transition questions

From: William T Wilson (fluffy@snurgle.org)
Date: Fri Oct 13 2000 - 23:38:26 EST

On Sat, 14 Oct 2000, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> to know if after installing updated packages, if I'll still be
> able to use a 2.2.x kernel ok, or if I'll have to resort to
> initscript trickery:

Some people get success with the old kernel and the new modutils, others
find that it does not work. Most find that it does not work.

Your best bet would be to create two sets of modutils binaries and have
the init scripts pick the right one based on the kernel you are running
that day.

I think uninstalling and reinstalling RPMs to do this (especially on
Debian <g> ) is rather like changing your gas tank whenever you switch
between premium and unleaded fuel, but I guess it works :}