large memory support for x86

From: Kiril Vidimce (vkire@pixar.com)
Date: Wed Oct 11 2000 - 21:03:36 EST

Hi there,

I am trying to find out more information on large memory support (> 4 GB)
for Linux IA32. Is there a document that elaborates on what is supported
and what isn't and how this scheme actually works in the kernel?

My primary concern is whether a process can allocate more than 4 GB of
memory, rather than just be able to use more than 4 GB of physical
memory in the system.

Also, I see that the highmem support is just an option in the kernel.
Does this mean that there is a significant performance penalty in using
this extension?

Any pointers/answers would be appreciated.

Thanks,
KV