Re: [PATCH] OOM killer API (was: [PATCH] VM fix for 2.4.0-test9 & OOM handler)

From: Bruce A. Locke (
Date: Wed Oct 11 2000 - 10:41:31 EST

On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Paul Jakma wrote:

> that's why you have per process limits set. Eg, PAM makes this
> exceedingly easy with -> edit /etc/security/limit.conf.
> this prevents at least 90% of OOM situations (ie individual leaky
> processes). eg netscape will then pop-up "can not allocate memory"
> messages and stop rendering pages instead of crashing your system.

I wasn't aware PAM settings affected daemons started up during boottime
but I will check into it, thank you.

BTW, you said it works only 90%, what are the other 10% of times it
doesn't work?

> --paulj

Bruce A. Locke

"The Internet views censorship as damage and routes around it"

To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to
Please read the FAQ at

This archive was generated by hypermail 2b29 : Sun Oct 15 2000 - 21:00:18 EST