Re: VM in v2.4.0test9

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 10:31:13 EST

On Wed, 4 Oct 2000, David Weinehall wrote:

> Running the included program on a clean v2.4.0test9 kernel I can
> hang the computer practically in no time. The only other

        [OUT OF MEMORY PROGRAM]

> runnning process that can be of interest is dnetc. Running the
> same on a v2.2.xx kernel will just depleat the memory then kill
> the offending process, leaving everything nice and dandy.

Handling out-of-memory in a clean and predictable way is the
next thing on the feature list. I'll add it RSN (I'm reasonably
sure now that the current VM features are stable ... time for
OOM handling).

> What seems most strange is that the doesn't even get depleated.
> The machine still answers to SysRq and ping, but nothing else.

We do that on purpose. This would allow eg. swap-over-nbd
to send out TCP packets, even though all "normal" allocations
are blocked on low memory.

regards,

Rik

--
"What you're running that piece of shit Gnome?!?!"
       -- Miguel de Icaza, UKUUG 2000

http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/