Disk priorities...

From: LA Walsh (law@sgi.com)
Date: Sun Oct 01 2000 - 14:45:47 EST

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but has there ever been any
thought of having a 'nice' value for disk accesses?. I was on a
server with 4 CPU's but only 2 SCSI disks. Many times I'll see 4 processes
on disk wait, 3 of them at a cpu-nice of 19 while the foreground processes
get bogged down by the lower priority processes due to disk contention.

I've also thought before a simple 'netnice' would be good as well -- real
nice and easy to use, lets see:
netnice
disknice
cpunice

Just wondering...
-linda

--
L A Walsh                        | Trust Technology, Core Linux, SGI
law@sgi.com                      | Voice/Vmail: (650) 933-5338