Re: problem with 2.4.0-test9-pre6 seems to be SHM

From: safemode (safemode@voicenet.com)
Date: Sat Sep 23 2000 - 12:50:28 EST

One more little complaint.. why doesn't vger replace the FROM to
linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org like any other sane mailing list ... i
keep going to Reply and not sending to the list. At least add a
reply-to tag like the proftpd mailing list has if you want to keep the
FROM tag as the original sender.

attached mail follows:

David Ford wrote:

> I think it's time to get Christoph on the line and see what he has to say. The
> 4096 number is a limit to the system, you can have a max of 4096 shared memory
> segments systemwide. Do you know offhand which programs are using(abusing)
> shm?
>
> -d
>
> safemode wrote:
>
> > David Ford wrote:
> >
> > > No, those two are often empty. Does the total of the first group's bytes
> > > column match the used column of df?
> > >
> > > -d
> >
> > The sum of the Bytes used in the 4096 entries ipcs shows is WAY off from the
> > bytes used in df if that's what you wanted to know. df shows 109K in
> > use... and that's easily beaten by the first entry in ipcs
> >
> > ------ Shared Memory Segments --------
> > key shmid owner perms bytes nattch status
> > 0x00000000 32769 root 600 503808 2 dest
> > 0x00000002 131074 root 600 196608 2
> > 0x00000003 163843 root 600 655360 2
> > 0x00000000 3997700 root 777 5240 1 dest
> > 0x00000000 4030469 root 777 5060 1 dest
> > 0x00000000 4063238 root 777 4700 1 dest
> >
> > this is the first 6 entries ... i'm not sure what you're getting at with
> > this though..
>
> --
> "There is a natural aristocracy among men. The grounds of this are
> virtue and talents", Thomas Jefferson [1742-1826], 3rd US President

When in doubt. . Blame it on the biggest piece of crap around .. X. One can
say using a cvs of X is the cause of this by somehow i doubt it would matter. X
needs a sane make system and i'll bet 10:1 that it's the root of this shm usage.
But it should not be crashing the OS ...which does occur since i just went down a
couple minutes ago. Right now it's increasing 1 segment a second it seems. it's
at 1200 now and i give it about 30 more minutes before i crash again. I'm gonna
run this on the test8-vm3 patched kernel i had before that was VERY good except
for that deadlock problem that caused me to crash after 7 days. If the shm usage
is insane on that then i'll believe it is X's fault. be back with the results
in a few minutes.