Re: lvm in 2.4.0-test9pre5

From: Peter Samuelson (peter@cadcamlab.org)
Date: Fri Sep 22 2000 - 20:23:22 EST

[aa]
> Ok, I see your point of grouping them together.
>
> So I think drivers/sm (Storage Management) would be cleaner. LVM and
> MD are two implementations of Storage Management.

But most if not all block drivers, and some char drivers for that
matter, could be considered part of "storage management". So the label
is too broad. "md", on the other hand, is well-established as
referring to Linux RAID, but if you add lvm the label is too narrow.

We're really talking about pseudo-devices layered on real devices.
In which case we should add nbd.c and loop.c and call it
drivers/block/pseudo/ or drivers/block/meta/. Linus?

> drivers/sm/lvm
> drivers/sm/md

There is non-zero overhead for splitting directories, so it shouldn't
be done on a whim. What I'm thinking of is the individual directory
Makefiles, which do need maintenance from time to time. We're only
talking about 8 source files at the moment, and I don't see that number
going up too much.

Peter