Re: Reproducable hard locks in 2.2.17. IDE related

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Fri Sep 22 2000 - 14:03:30 EST

On Fri, 22 Sep 2000, Andries Brouwer wrote:

> Here 1.4 MB is wasted on hdb because the BIOS has invented
> this 1229/255/63 translation. The disk access methods on
> hdb and hdc is the same.

Yes, and soon CHS will go away completely with 48-bit LBA or if you CHS
these large drives. I considered the making of a forced policy if you
have drives beyond 80 or 100 GB but policies are pooh-poohed regardless if
they are correct. Thus I will have to wait for the 137GB limit to enforce
the standard and make the default CHS limited to 137GB and beyond that you
have to use LBA.

Cheers,

Andre Hedrick
The Linux ATA/IDE guy