Re: /dev/f1

From: Michael Elizabeth Chastain (mec@shout.net)
Date: Thu Sep 21 2000 - 17:50:31 EST

Hi Daniel,

> tar -cvf /dev/f1 .

Take a look at the line before it:

        tar:
                tar -cvf /dev/f1 .

This goal has been in the net/*/Makefile files a very long time. I see
it in linux-0.99.1.tar!

My guess is that the original author/user of this little goal liked to
back up their work to floppy disk every so often (think about it, they
didn't have mature networking in place, so a floppy backup makes a lot
of sense). I'll also guess that the original author/user is no longer
backing up onto floppies, and no one would mind if someone removed this
historic relic.

But it's not a 2.4 critical bug so no action for a while.

Michael