[RFC] ioctl(2) return value

From: Abramo Bagnara (abramo@alsa-project.org)
Date: Thu Sep 21 2000 - 04:43:07 EST

In ALSA we use the return value from ioctl as a simple way to return a
positive number to user space (if the return value is less than 0 we got
error, of course)

We got the doubt that this break some unknown standards or some linux
conventions or Linus taste (at a first glance I'm unable to find
precedents inside kernel tree).

I've looked Singe UNIX Specification, Version 2 and there this seems
perfectly acceptable.

I'd like very much to have some feedback to do the RightThing (tm).

The alternative of course would be to add a result field inside struct
passed by pointer to ioctl call.

--
Abramo Bagnara                       mailto:abramo@alsa-project.org

Opera Unica Via Emilia Interna, 140 Phone: +39.0546.656023 48014 Castel Bolognese (RA) - Italy Fax: +39.0546.656023