Re: Question: Using floating point in the kernel

From: Lyle Coder (x_coder@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Sep 21 2000 - 00:37:29 EST

Hi
The real issue is that if you use MMX or FP state, the kernel _must_ save
and restore the original state other wise user programs will see corruption.
We all know this too well since redhat's 6.1 (I think) kernel had this
optimized MMX functions that _screwed_ up user programs. The fact is... it
is tricky to save and restore state (device not available and all).
The basic kernel itself does not provide support for kernel code to use
these registers. If some device drivers or some modifications to the kernel
are using it.. then I hope they have the save/restore path right

- Lyle