Re: uid

From: Chris Wing (wingc@engin.umich.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 20 2000 - 13:58:27 EST

Dan:

GNU tar uses text usernames preferentially, otherwise it falls back upon
numeric IDs. So if you had a user with the same user name as in the tar
file, it would chown it to that user's ID, not the same id as 'tarabas'.

This is true only for GNU format tar, however; SysV format tar files do
not store textual usernames.

-Chris Wing
wingc@engin.umich.edu