Re: APIC errors on my dual celeron, 2.4.0-test7

From: Helge Hafting (helgehaf@idb.hist.no)
Date: Wed Sep 20 2000 - 04:05:28 EST

Seth R Arnold wrote:
[...]
> APIC error on CPU1: 02(02)
> APIC error on CPU1: 02(08)
[...]
> Is this something I should be worried about?
No. The APIC retries the stuff that go wrong, so all
you get is a very slight performance degradation.
Nothing to worry about unless it happens hundreds of
times per second, or require extreme latency
on _every_ interrupt.

> Is this something other
> people are familiar with and know how to fix?
Almost all bp6 owner get this when they run a kernel that
report APIC trouble. You can improve the situation by:
* not overclocking
* use a really good power supply, a bp6 draws more current
  than a single-cpu board. One with lots of watts are
  probably good. Or look for "athlon approved", athlons
  require good power too.
* extra cooling of the board. Replace that little green
  heatsink with a fan, and use thermal grease. A
  486 fan or 40mm fan is suposed to fit perfectly.
  Make sure there is good airflow throgh the case, and
  good circulation over the entire board.

> Is it something that
> should be fixed? :)

This isn't something you need to worry about - it is
more a "I want a clean logfile" issue.

Helge Hafting