Re: PATCH 2.4.0.9.2: export ethtool interface

From: Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
Date: Tue Sep 19 2000 - 18:55:49 EST

On Tue, 19 Sep 2000, Andrew Morton wrote:

> > This patch, against 2.4.0-test9-pre2, moves ethtool.h from the private
> > domain of the sparc ports into include/linux. This publishes an
> This is good. It would be useful to have this in place ASAP so driver
> authors have something to look at and to work against.

You all know my opinion on this interface: it is bad.

> * I added SUPPORTED_MAC_FLOWCTRL/ADVERTISED_MAC_FLOWCTRL for advertising
> of 802.3x MAC-layer flow control.

There are two elements of this: Rx and Tx flow control. We might support Rx
flow control, but not generate flow control packets. Or perhaps the
inverse.

> * There don't seem to be enough port types and transceiver types.
> 10base2? BNC? 100baseTx/100baseFX?

1Mbps HomePNA? 10Mbps HomePNA? (Check the control words for the PNA spec.)
Various 802.11?
10Gb Ethernet? Have you looked at gigabit autonegotiation?

If you are proposing a new interface (and obviously tossing the
existing MII-MDIO emulation that has existed for a few years) you should at
least support current hardware.

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Scyld Computing Corporation http://www.scyld.com
410 Severn Ave. Suite 210 Beowulf-II Cluster Distribution
Annapolis MD 21403