Re: An elevator algorithm (patch)

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Tue Sep 19 2000 - 09:21:19 EST

On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 07:17:42AM -0300, Rik van Riel wrote:
> This is a bug in Andrea's idea. The request should only
> be inserted at the end of the list if:
>
> 1) the block numbre is bigger than head->prev (which you
> already have)

If you read the code you'll see that in his previous patch he wasn't doing
that. That's what I suggested to change to return in O(1) behaviour.

> 2) the block number is smaller than head (or head->next
> if the current request is unplugged)

You're wrong. While the queue is unplugged there are peaks in the queue caused
by the latency control and head->next is not guarnateed to be the lower block
in the queue.

Andrea