Re: Linux-2.4.0-test9-pre2

From: Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Date: Tue Sep 19 2000 - 03:21:37 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> >
> > torvalds@transmeta.com said:
> > > Note that with most versions of gcc this is all a complete non-issue,
> > > as most versions of gcc will _always_ inline a function that the user
> > > has asked to be inlined. So the issue seldom actually comes up.
> >
> > I thought that 'extern inline' was in fact the intended usage. That way, if
> > gcc decides it's not going to obey our explicit instruction to inline a
> > certain function, we get to know about it.
>
> And what could we do about it? Basically nothing.

If gcc starts shouting:

somefile.c:1234: declared inline function 'serial_paranoia_check' is
somefile.c:1234: larger than 1k. Declining to honor the inline directive.
[...]
/tmp/cc39I5yn.o(.text+0x4): undefined reference to `serial_paranoia_check'

you'll get a pile of Email, so that you can decide what's wrong. I
thought that you thought that that was better than just having it
silently bloat enormously.

                        Roger.

*       Common sense is the collection of                                *
******  prejudices acquired by age eighteen.   -- Albert Einstein ********