Re: PROBLEM: Segmentation fault [SIGSEGV] reading from /proc/tty/driv er/serial

From: David Ciemiewicz (dciemo@excite.com)
Date: Mon Sep 18 2000 - 13:16:55 EST

Thanks for everyone looking into this problem. I'm going to toss out
some additional information which I think may be extremely important
in any discussions surrounding the serial drivers: what is and is not
actually configured in the kernel. :^)

While I had 10 years of experience with the IRIX source trees at SGI,
I'm on a steep learning curve for linux and still learning how to
reproduce the exact kernel configuration of my running 2.2.14 system
and a 2.2.17 kernel. (It would be extremely useful to have a pointer
to a tool which would duplicate the configs rather than going through
the manual process of configuring the kernel build).

That said, dmesg on my 2.2.14 kernel shows the following serial
device configuration information:

Detected PS/2 Mouse Port.
Serial driver version 4.27 with MANY_PORTS MULTIPORT SHARE_IRQ enabled
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured

So, CONFIG_HUB6 is a red herring for my particular case but is still
a potential hole for for any case where the sstate->info pointer is
null.

So, if any attempts to reproduce my problems with 2.2.17 don't have
MANY_PORTS, MULTIPORT, and SHARE_IRQ enabled, then we are trying to
compare oranges and lemons.

Like I said, if anyone has a quick and dirty way to gen a new config
file that identically reproduces my 2.2.14 kernel (a RTFM pointer will
do :^), I'll work through the details of trying to reproduce the
problems with 2.2.17.

Thanks for everyone's help on this.

--- Ciemo