Re: FreeBSD's new zero-copy networking

From: Larry McVoy (lm@bitmover.com)
Date: Mon Sep 18 2000 - 10:34:17 EST

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 08:28:30AM -0700, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> > > They've gotten 960 megabits/sec out of a gigabit Ethernet card
> > > with this. Not stable yet.
> >
> > Didn't daveme get the same speed using Linux almost a year ago?
>
> Also Andrew Gallatin got this speed with Trapeze && GigE cards about a year
> ago as well.
>
> It's not so much the 960Mbit (or better, actually, which you can get depending
> on the card). It's how much CPU you eat up doing so. You of all people should
> know that, Larry :-).

Yeah, I do know it. I think FreeBSD reinventing what SGI did is stupid.
As soon as you get rid of the copy as the issue the VM maps/unmaps become
the issue. So they are inching closer to the next problem. Take a look at
Stephen Tweedies kio bufs, that's better. You can read a little about them
at ftp.bitmover.com://pub/splice.ps, that's where they came from.

--
---