Re: PROBLEM: umount report "busy" on r/o remount of root filesystem

From: Udo A. Steinberg (sorisor@Hell.WH8.TU-Dresden.De)
Date: Mon Sep 18 2000 - 08:38:28 EST

Jes Sorensen wrote:

> Pavel> Umount (and mount on next line too) report "/: device is busy"
> Pavel> and the root filesystem stay not correctly unmounted. >

> 2.2.13 and gcc-2.95.2 are not compatible, try with the correct
> compiler first.

Whatever the problem is, it's probably not a compiler issue.
He says it's fine with 2.2.x and breaks with 2.4.x. I've seen
the same on my system which is 2.4.0-test9 with egcs-1.1.2.

I cannot reliably reproduce it though, it only happens
occasionally, so I'm clueless as to what causes it.

*** To Theodore Y. Ts'o

This should probably be added to the 2.4.x bug-list. Since
Pavel seems to be able to constantly reproduce it, it should
be possible to track the problem down with his help.

Cheers,
Udo.