Re: 2.4.0test9-pre2 and pre1 wont boot

From: Matthias Hanisch (matze@camline.com)
Date: Mon Sep 18 2000 - 03:00:31 EST

On Sun, 17 Sep 2000, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> > christoph> With both version I get the "booting linux...." message and then the first
> > christoph> line of the kernel messages. Then its dead. Have tried to change the kernel
> > christoph> configuration but to no avail.
> >
> > christoph> 2.4.0test2 works fine.
> >

> > Could you send your .config and a description of your system???
>
> AMD K2-400. 64M Ram. VIA chipset.

I just want to let you know that I am experiencing the same problem with
2.4.0test9-pre1. This is with an old ISA 486 box with 32M. Behavior is a
little bit different: I don't see the first line of the kernel messages
and I get a hard reset.

2.4.0test8 booted fine and I have stripped the test9-pre1 patch down to
80k because the rest (acpi, drivers/net, drivers/usb, for example) was not
configured in. The problem stays...

The patch still contains (from memory):
- mktime movement
- char/mem.c
- char/nvram.c
- scsi/sd.c
- everything from fs/ (except nfs, not enabled)
- everything from kernel/
- Rik's VM patches
- net/core/sock.c

The biggest part that is still in the patch are Rik's VM enhancements
although I do not think that they are the cause of the problem in this
early stage. Seems to be a strange side effect...

I cannot give you much more information since I am in the office now but
feel free to ask.

        Matze

--
Matthias Hanisch    mailto:matze@camline.com    phone: +49 8137 935-219