Re: Very aggressive swapping after 2 hours rest

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Sun Sep 17 2000 - 12:22:28 EST

On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 12:11:40AM -0400, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
> Umm, OK. I suppose that BSD prints this stuff? If so,
> somebody please send me an output sample and explanation
> so that I know where to put this stuff.

Some of the fields recently added to /proc/meminfo are very dependent on the
internal of the memory management of the kernel, I don't think it's good idea
to make them part of the user<->kernel API because there are alteratvive
algorithms that won't generate those numbers and that can generate different
ones. I understand the interest in collecting the new data for debugging
the behaviour of the MM but a few line of perl are enough to do that.

Andrea