Re: RAID HW Questions...

From: Bryan Whitehead (driver@rccacm.org)
Date: Sat Sep 16 2000 - 14:15:53 EST

On Sat, 16 Sep 2000, Ricky Beam wrote:

> This is true of _any_ binary module. That's why I never use binary modules.

That's why I don't want to use them either.

> Have you bothered tell us what that error is? I've not seen anything on
> dpt's mail-list. (Which is where this should be discussed.)

I've emailed support@dpt.com (that's what the linuxi2oreadme.txt says to
do for help) MANY times pleading for help. i asked for Phone#'s, web
pages, ftp sites, and yes email lists. I've yet to get a reply in 6 months
of asking.

> Yes they do. You just are talking to the right people. (Maybe those "right
> people" aren't there anymore. DPT is now an Adaptec company, remember.)

If I can call and email for 6 months and never get a reply that means they
DON'T care in my book.

> Point of fact: There _are_ people using >2.2.12 with the DPT driver.
> Point of fact: There _are_ people usin 2.4 with the DPT driver.

You know what? I REALLY hope I'm wrong. I really do. I hope it was sitting
in front of me the whole time. Please please please tell me where I can
get it. (and 2.2.12 isn't good enough).

> I'm the one who made it work at 2.3.33... I sent those changes to DPT and
> mailed several lists.
>
> (http://chickenboo.bluetopia.net/~jfbeam/DPT/)

Great! What about 2.2.17? ot 2.4.0(test) ? I really don't care much
about 2.3.33.

> For starters, you can tell us exactly what the hell your problem is. Blow
> off all the steam you want, but no one can help you until you tell us your
> specific problem.

He's something to start on: If you want full build logs let me know. They
may take awile to get. (I'd rather not work on the weekend).
I have 2 systems. one in production, one just sitting around
for me to mess with. They both have the same exact software. I'll
show the current configuration from the production machine using
the binary drivers from DPT.

BTW this is where I got the drivers:
ftp://ftp.adaptec.com/raid/dpt/SRV/software/drivers/linux/
here is my sysinfo (same as what you put out).
uname -a
Linux www.rccacm.org 2.2.5-22smp #1 SMP Wed Jun 2 09:11:51 EDT 1999 i686
unknown
gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-mandrake-linux/2.95.2/specs
gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release)
cat /proc/scsi/dpt/1
Vendor: DPT Model: PM2554U2 Rev: 211D, scsi 1:

DPT I2O Driver Version: 1.06/1.1:

        cmd_per_lun = 210, max_id = 15, max_lun = 7, max_channel = 0
        sg_tablesize = 39, irq = 18, OutstandingMsgs = 0
        maxfromiopmsgs = 64, maxtoiopmsgs = 210

    Devices:
        Channel = 0, Target = 1, Lun = 0
cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: QUANTUM Model: ATLAS IV 9 WLS Rev: 0808
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
  Vendor: DPT Model: RAID-5 Rev: 211D

Now for the Building. This is using 2.2.17 Kernel. The errors are the same
for the previous Kernels as well. I patched in the 109patch.gz file found
in the FTP site I gave you. (As it's stated to do in the readme - you neet
to d/l dpti2olinux.zip to get the linuxi2oreadme.txt). At the very end of
the .txt file it states a error I *might* get. i get that one. This is
what it says:
Q: When attempting to compile my kernel, I am getting lots
of error such as:
        drivers/scsi/scsi.a(dpt_i2o.o): In function `dpt_add_timer':
        dpt_i2o.o(.text+0x10): undefined reference to
        `del_timer_Rsmp_5811f067'
A: This is an error seen when using a compiler newer than gcc 2.7.2. Use
        gcc 2.7.2 or older.

I've used gcc 2.7.2 and get the same results. :(

Another wierd thing is even though they have a "patch" for this card they
give instructions to manually edit it a .h file they forgot to include.

--
---
Bryan Whitehead