Attempting to mount Zip causes floppy access (2.2.16)

From: Nick Holloway (Nick.Holloway@alfie.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat Sep 16 2000 - 05:35:24 EST

I have a zip disk which I attempted to mount using the following fstab
entry:

    /dev/sda4 /zip vfat noauto,nodev,nosuid,user

This caused a spew of "bread failed" errors, and the mount process ended
up blocked in "wait_on_buffer". I thought at first that Zip disk had
gone to silicon heaven.

After rebooting, I had a look at the kernel messages, and was _amazed_ to
see the following:

    SCSI device sda: hdwr sector= 512 bytes.
    Sectors= 196608 [96 MB] [0.1 GB]
    sda: Write Protect is off
     sda: sda1 sda2 sda3 sda4
    floppy0: disk absent or changed during operation
    end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00 (floppy), sector 1
    bread in fat_access failed
    [...]

There are two questions. Firstly, why did the mount process get stuck
in the kernel, and secondly (and more importantly) what was it doing
accessing "/dev/fd0"?

The Zip is a bit suspect, as when I attempted to transfer stuff from
a Windows machine, it reported the size as a few Mb, and had to be
formatted. I don't know if the media is going bad, but I have just dd'd
the contents off without problems.

If I try and look at the partition table, "cfdisk" refuses, and "fdisk"
complains bitterly. If I try and "dd if=/dev/sda4" then this just hangs,
again in "wait_on_buffer".

Regardless of bad media and corrupt partition tables, I don't see why
the kernel is accessing a completely unrelated device.

I'll leave the zip disk as it is, so if needed I can run any tests to
try and isolate the problem.

Details; Kernel 2.2.16; Debian 2.2; Zip+ 100 accessed through aha152x.

--
 `O O'  | Nick.Holloway@pyrites.org.uk
// ^ \\ | http://www.pyrites.org.uk/