Re: [patch] Card services & yenta driver

From: David Hinds (dhinds@valinux.com)
Date: Fri Sep 15 2000 - 17:23:03 EST

On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 02:49:35PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> The patch looks ok, but the SS_DEBOUNCE thing is horrible.
>
> Why do it? All of the SS_DETECT logic is inside cs.c anyway. Now you
> introduce SS_DEBOUNCE to fix a cs.c bug, and "export" that cs.c logic bug
> into the low-level driver.
>
> An alternative, and probably more logical, fix is much simpler: add a
> simple
>
> socket->events = 0;
>
> to "yenta_get_status()". Nothing more, nothing less.

I think this is a bad idea. Ignoring latched events and relying on
the current socket status is unsafe. You can ignore transient
card-detect events when the driver hasn't yet started the power up
sequence, but you cannot ignore them at other times, because the
bridge does stuff (like cutting power, and redetecting card type) on
its own.

-- Dave