Re: New topic (PowerPC Linux PCI HELL)

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Fri Sep 15 2000 - 14:24:20 EST

On Fri, 15 Sep 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > The PCI Specification states, in part, that either the BIOS or the
> > driver has to enable the device. So, many drivers find that the device
> > has not been enabled. This is normal and necessary because many/most
> > PCI hardware had better not be enabled until an ISR is in-place.
>
> The Linux 2.4 kernel API means that you must call
>
> pci_enable_device(dev)
>
> which also knows about architecture specific magic too
>
> Alan

Okay. So, in effect, PCI is no longer a bus that drivers have to
know about, but a logical device. This is good. The stuff I've
been working on (2.2.+) doesn't have this capability. It will be
good when we have a stable version (err non-broken) of 2.4 for
me to port my drivers to. I just conldn't keep up with the continual
changes and sorta gave up for the time being.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.2.15 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).

obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.