Re: [RFC] Wine speedup through kernel module

From: David Howells (David.Howells@nexor.co.uk)
Date: Fri Sep 15 2000 - 03:05:26 EST

At the moment, the Win32 syscalls I implement require an fd to be attached to
a particular proc file. This fd holds the Win32 handle map.

The VFS provides auto-refcounting on modules that provide file operations,
thus the syscall stub only needs to check that the fd provided has the correct
set of file operations attached and increment the refcount on the fd itself.

This has the added advantage that not only will the module not go away during
a syscall, but the handle map will not depart either.

There are other ways to make sure the module doesn't go away, for instance
using personalities, but I still need to maintain the refcount on the handle
map fd.

David Howells