Re: Proposal: Linux Kernel Patch Management System

From: Larry McVoy (lm@bitmover.com)
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 17:17:46 EST

On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 10:56:17PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> [security audit]
> One by people other than the authors

That's OK by me, nobody is stopping anyone from doing that. I'd welcome it.

> [non-free tools means Linux is not free]
>
> It affects peoples ability to contribute. Those who choose only to use free
> software (such as the debian project) would be unable to contribute if that
> was the only tool available.

Nobody is proposing that BK is the only tool people could use. The PPC kernel
folks have been using BK and then running "bk export -tpatch" to send Linus
patches. It has been working for quite some time. "bk import -tpatch" works
too.

> > I just have one question: can you tell me if you have actually read
> > the BKL or are you just making up your mind that it is free or non free
> > based on something else?
>
> DFSG. Which nowdays seems to be the reference

So in other words, you are saying "BK is not free" and you haven't even
read the license. That's pretty lame, if true. You ought to at least
read it.

A surprising number of formerly disagreeing people read the license
and decide it's actually pretty cool. We put a lot of thought into
protecting your rights. Did you know that if BitMover goes out of
business BK becomes GPLed? Did you know if we stop maintaining the
openlogging servers, BK becomes GPLed? Did you know that single user
repositories require neither money or the logging (and you can make
multiple people appear as one)? Do you know that we routinely grant
waivers to people who have legit needs for !openlogging but no money?

--
---
Larry McVoy            	   lm@bitmover.com           http://www.bitmover.com/lm