Re: Redhat 6.2 Panic in boot

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 05:05:22 EST

> I just installed succesfully the RedHat 6.2 in a 1000Mhz AMD server.
> After I reboot, being finished the installation, the kernel starts and
> crashes in
> the following panic:
>
> disabling CPUID serial number general protection fault: 0000
> (...reg dump...)
> Kernel panic: attempted to kill the idle task!
>
> Any clue about this?

Later AMD processors set the bit flag claiming to have a processor serial number
but use it for other things. The linux kernel RH ship doesnt know about that
so thinks that AMD like transmeta and intel it should disable it and that
blows up.

Boot off the install setup with your root set to be the place youinstalled
then install the errata kernel.