Re: New topic (PowerPC Linux PCI HELL)

From: Vojtech Pavlik (vojtech@suse.cz)
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 02:59:35 EST

On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 05:29:58PM -0700, Andre Hedrick wrote:

> Okay who can teach me how to force hooks and ram this down the PPC
>
> pci_write_config_word(dev, PCI_COMMAND, 0x05);
>
> I have all the address registered.
> My new PPC G3 (7600/132) toy is not allowing IO's on PCI cards to come
> alive. Thus I get some of the most beuatiful lockups ever.
> I suspect that this needs to be handled down in the arch.
>
> ./linux/arch/ppc/kernel/{chrp_pci.c|mbx_pci.c|pmac_pci.c|prep_pci.c}
>
> Basically I can not get the IO's active, regardless of BIOS on the card.
> Yes this is the old trick that used to work of making ix86 cards run in
> non ix86-pci slots.
>
> Here is the fun part, I have a native mac/ppc Ultra-66 card that is fin
> under Mac OS, but the IO's are not enable in linux and it crash like a big
> dog also.

The same happens for OHCI on new Macs. The correct function to use is:

pci_enable_device(dev);

This function will enable the i/o, mem and irqs, and assign them if they
were not assigned for some reason, too.

And you should use it on any PCI device you want to use before using
it, on all architectures. Also check its return value.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs