Re: [BUG] threaded processes get stuck in rt_sigsuspend/fillonedir/exit_notify

From: David Ford (david@kalifornia.com)
Date: Tue Sep 12 2000 - 09:28:22 EST

"Theodore Y. Ts'o" wrote:

> Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 18:27:30 -0700
> From: David Ford <david@kalifornia.com>
>
> > I've told Linus several times about this problems but he puts out one
> > test release after the other without this fixed.
>
> This is kinda important, I run DNS tools which are threaded amongst
> numerous other threaded programs a lot. What needs to be done to fix it?
>
> I suspect it's going to require a kernel developer who is willing (and
> has the time) to tackle this as their own project, preferably someone
> who is trusted by Linus for having "good taste".
>
> The only problem is that the set of people who are (a) kernel
> developers, (b) understand Posix threads in all of their ugly, gory
> detail, and (c) have survived with their sense of good taste intact
> seems to be relatively small.

Well, how about backing out the threads change until somebody is ready to fix
everything involved. I haven't the time, depth of knowledge, or rep for this.
At present the only thing it seems to do is break things. With 2.4 around the
corner, I can't imagine a flock of hungry geeks happy that their threading is
reason for frequent reboots on a supposed "stable"*1 kernel.

-d

#1 - the general uninformed grunt monkey refers to kernels as stable or
unstable instead of release or development.

--
"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an
eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was