Re: Using Yarrow in /dev/random

From: Olaf Titz (olaf@bigred.inka.de)
Date: Tue Sep 12 2000 - 05:24:58 EST

> In any case, this requires use of a hash function (sha1) and a block
> cipher (3des). We were going to do a replacement of /dev/random

I don't think it does _have_ to be 3des, which is approximately the
slowest and most tedious to implement cipher known to the world. ;-)
Blowfish would be nicer except for the big tables. If frequent
re-keying of the cipher is needed, Twofish would be even a better
choice. Although this isn't standard Yarrow-160 any more, it would
make for a better implementation IMHO. (A quick look at Schneier's
paper suggests that this is possible and anticipated by the design.)

Also consider using the Crypto API from the international kernel
patch, which already contains some useful cipher implementations.

Olaf