Re: [RFC] Wine speedup through kernel module

From: David Howells (David.Howells@nexor.co.uk)
Date: Tue Sep 12 2000 - 04:08:43 EST

David Woodhouse <dwmw2@infradead.org> wrote:
> bgerst@didntduck.org said:
> > The best solution is to have a stub which is always resident that
> > does the inc/dec of the module count. This stub can reserve the
> > syscall number as well.
>
> _Please_ don't have a stub in the kernel which is conditionally compiled
> according to the value of a _MODULE option.

I have to admit, the thought hadn't occurred to me to do that. It almost
sounds like a good idea... after all the stub can't be used if no modules can
be loaded. Are you thinking, then, that the stub can't be used by compiled in
(ie non-module) code? Or am I misunderstanding what you mean?

David Howells