Re: [RFC] Changes file [was Re: modules directory]

From: Simon Huggins (huggie@earth.li)
Date: Mon Sep 11 2000 - 12:30:29 EST

On Sat, Sep 09, 2000 at 05:18:51PM +0200, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> Simon Huggins wrote:
[about modutils and complaints that people don't read
Documentation/Changes]
> > Why not make it easy on people and have a log something like:
> > 2.4.0-testX-preY
> > Requires modutils-x.y.z otherwise you get error messages like
> > "blah blah blah"
> > Note you should no longer frobnicate the thingummie or bad
> > things will happen.
> > 2.3.whatever_it_was
> > You need to mount shm on blah.
[...]
> > Comments?
> I'd like to see a directory in the root of the kernel tree having the
> name of the kernel version. Any patch that breaks things writes a one
> or two line file into that directory. When it's time to release a
> kernel version you do the following:

> cat 2.4.0-testX/* >>Documentation/Changes
> rm -rf 2.4.0-testX

Whilst that makes sense, I can't see it really happening. I dunno, I
guess it's down to Linus/Alan to work out if they can be bothered to
have yet another step before they make a tarball. Perhaps if they have
makefiles or something to automate the tarring/diffing etc then they'll
just have to add this and then it will work?

Maybe I'm dreaming :)

> This approach gives us a way of annotating the important effects of
> patches that are actually applied.

Yes, but I would see it mainly just for userland utilities that need to
be upgraded between kernel releases.

> I can think of various arguments for not doing this or something like
> it, but the only substantive one I can think of is 'no, it would make
> it easier to work with the kernel', and I guess this is the argument
> that will be applied in this case. Disclaimer: I don't mind, in fact
> being an elitist is kind of fun.

We shall see.

Simon.

--
[ "I forgot what to buy," Tom said listlessly.                         ]
        Black Cat Networks.  http://www.blackcatnetworks.co.uk/