Re: [ANNOUNCE] Darkstar Development Project

From: Larry McVoy (lm@bitmover.com)
Date: Mon Sep 11 2000 - 18:03:24 EST

Note: trimmed the 390 list, they don't care according to Alan..

On Tue, Sep 12, 2000 at 12:21:16AM +0200, Jamie Lokier wrote:
> Larry McVoy wrote:
> > That's a benefit [for BK] of having changesets, I only need to compare
> > the ChangeSet file to know that 4 files were updated 2 were moved, and
> > 5 were created, then I move those *portions* of those files across the
> > wire.
>
> What happens when I lose the ChangeSet file, or misplace it?

Life really sucks. It's like losing a superblock, sort of. We can
reconstruct them but almost never do because people typically have
more than once copy of a repository sitting around. So you can copy
it back, do a "bk -r check -a" (the moral equiv of an fsck, no we don't
really have an fsck -y yet), and fix up the errors. The revision control
files and the ChangeSet files point at each other and need to be in sync.

That's how we get all the performance, by the way, all we need to compare
is a tiny subset of the ChangeSet files (32KB out of 5MB in one tree, that's
pretty typical). And we could compare a lot less, it just hasn't been
worth it to do so, we gzip that 32K down to less than 6K so...)

--
---
Larry McVoy            	   lm@bitmover.com           http://www.bitmover.com/lm