Re: Whining about MIME formatted email

From: Horst von Brand (vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl)
Date: Sat Sep 09 2000 - 20:14:36 EST

"Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu> said:

[...]

> That would be the "H=F8jland" in your .sig, right?
> No problem, '=' is a standard character.
>
> My MUA has been RFC-compliant since before this "MIME" thing existed,
> so I can see the full ASCII character set. That includes the carat,
> underscore, back tick, backslash, vertical bar, at symbol, octothorpe,
> and both braces.

That is a really upsetting US/ASCII/English-centric view. How would you
feel if the prevalent, "standard" character set didn't include 'h' and
_your_ name showed up as "Albert D. Ca=68alan" elsewhere?!

That your MUA is RFC-compliant is nice, but in this case the RFC was
shortsighted. My MUA and MTA are at least able to handle Latin-1 (and
probably other charsets too, never tried).

--
Horst von Brand                             vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Vin~a del Mar, Chile                               +56 32 672616