Re: [patch-required!] Recent kernels show problems in handling VERY large HDs

From: Andreas Eibach (a.eibach@gmx.net)
Date: Sat Sep 09 2000 - 14:27:08 EST

> On Fri, 8 Sep 2000, Andreas Eibach wrote:
> > ide0: BM-DMA at 0x4000-0x4007, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio
> > ide1: BM-DMA at 0x4008-0x400f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
> >hda: 120060864 sectors (61471 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=7473/255/63,
UDMA(33)
> > hda:hda: timeout waiting for DMA
> >ide_dmaproc: chipset supported ide_dma_timeout func only: 14
> >hda: irq timeout: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
> >hda: status timeout: status=0xd8 { Busy }
>
> It would appear the system does know how big the drive is. The big
problem
> is the DMA failure. The system attempted to use DMA mode when the chipset
> wasn't set for DMA mode. Note the "hda:pio" part. Either rebuild the
kernel
> to disable DMA mode, turn it off by default,
NP. Yes, why not?
It's worth a try. Thanks for the hint.

or force the BIOS to enable DMA

Nope. Unfortunately, this is impossible. Award 4.51 PG does NOT support DMA
setting in the BIOS:
Only newer BIOSes do.
UDMA is displayed in the box with both my Maxtor and IBM HDs, however, you
cannot set
DMA explicitly _in_ the BIOS setup.

But I'll give this idea with the modified kernel a try.

> Once you fix that, I'm betting everything will work just fine.

Thanks.
Andreas

> PS: DMA has to be disabled as the kernel doesn't appear
> to know how or isn't willing to enable DMA mode for the drive. (My
TiVo hackbed disables DMA to handle
> byteswaping.)
"TiVo hackbed"? =) Do you mean a terminal you type in when you're lying on
the bed, by chance? =)