Re: Loss of network connectivity

From: Andrew McNabb (amcnabb@mcnabbs.org)
Date: Fri Sep 08 2000 - 16:31:52 EST

On Fri, 8 Sep 2000, Andrew Clayton wrote:

> I am running on a Compaq Armada E500 laptop, and after about a days worth
> of the pcmcia network card being registered, the system looses network
> connectivity with the following being logged to /var/log/messages

> eth0: Resetting the Tx ring pointer.
> eth0: Tx Ring full, refusing to send buffer.

> The card in question is a 3Com 3CCFE575BT

This is a known problem. There's a bug with the 3Com Card,
where it gives up transmitting if there are a lot of collisions
in a row. David Hinds and Andrew Morton have spent some time
on this recently, and it seems to be doing a lot better.

There are still some problems, especially if the card gets
excessively warm (don't ask me why...). If your network
isn't to collisiony, download the latest beta pcmcia package,
and it should work.

--
Andrew McNabb
amcnabb@mcnabbs.org