Re: [RFC] Wine speedup through kernel module

From: David Howells (David.Howells@nexor.co.uk)
Date: Fri Sep 08 2000 - 14:42:19 EST

"J. Robert von Behren" <jrvb@cs.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> FWIW, this can be done with relatively low overhead by creating a
> miscelaneous character device, and just using write() to write in the
> arguments. This is a bit worse than passing things through registers,
> but doesn't seem all that bad.

How do you emulate calls that return more than just a single integer? Plus if
you do it that way, someone can play havoc with the system with the cat
command, or if something tries to use the wrong fd.

Far better to use ioctl() I think.

> Nonetheless, having some entries in the syscall table that are
> designated as "dynamically allocatable" would be a nifty trick. If the
> kernel managed these, modules coluld safely grab a few at load time, and
> then declare which indices to use via a /proc file.

My thought exactly, except that you either need one or a great many.

David Howells