Re: Linux 2.2 - BSD/OS 4.1 ARP incompatibility

From: Matthew Kirkwood (matthew@hairy.beasts.org)
Date: Sat Sep 02 2000 - 08:24:38 EST

On Sat, 2 Sep 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> Fix your routing tables ?

and several other people have said similar things in the past.

I see the point, but it bites sufficiently often that I don't
understand why there is no interesting in improving this
behaviour.

I have several hosts with multiple or dual-ported ethernet
cards configured to different addresses on the same subnet.
With both interfaces up, it's impossible to apply anti-martian
rules to the interfaces, since it's hard to predict which card
will answer an ARP request.

Is it really so unreasonable to expect multiple interfaces on
the same subnet to act independantly?

Matthew.