Re: [patch] string-486.h modified

From: Petko Manolov (petkan@dce.bg)
Date: Thu Aug 31 2000 - 09:27:05 EST

Alan Cox wrote:

> > I made this patch as some people request using
> > 486 optimized string routines for older
> > (486 and 586) machines.
>
> I would be suprised if its a win for intel pentium cpus since almost all of them
> have hardware rep movs paths (except 100Mhz B step and a few oddments)

This will be a speedup for 486 and older 586. I don't have
Intel's optimization manual for 586s handy so i can't argue.
But looking at linux/arch/i386/config.in shows that 486
strings (CONFIG_X86_USE_STRING_486) are preferred for 486,
586, 586 with TSC and 586 MMX.

If you're right this should be changed and we have to use
these routines only for 486 and older 586 machines. Kernels
optimized in this way are slightly smaller.

Anyway, i would like to hear something about the stability of
the new code.

best,
Petkan