2.2.16: OOPS 2 & VFS panic

From: Ulrich Windl (Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de)
Date: Wed Aug 30 2000 - 01:34:00 EST

Hello,

I had a kernel panic with 2.2.16 yesterday. Because of this rare
occasion, I immediately checked my RAM (memtest86), but the RAM is OK,
there was no thunderstorm, no handy (mobile phone) nearby, the CPU and
RAM not overclocked, all chipsets Genuine Intel. I only have two memory
chips from China, but that should be close enough to Taiwan ;-)

Maybe it helps for reproduction: After Boot the system did a periodic
fsck, the I installed a program, thereby changing CDs twice.
Immediately after installation the system behaved odd and the panic
came along.

And yes, I've been running that kernel on that machine before without
problems. Only kswapd seemed instable in 2.2.16. My machine, a P100,
has 64MB RAM.

The syslog (2.5kB) with surrounding messages is attached.

Regards,
Ulrich
P.S. The library issue is probably due to SuSE-7.0.