Silent breakage of cdrecord under 2.4?

From: Damon LoCascio (dlocasci@seaforn.dircon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Aug 28 2000 - 19:07:28 EST

Hi all,

        OK I've been scratching my head to find out exactly how to tackle
a problem I have noticed since moving to the 2.4 realeases. Simply put,
burns with cdrecord (all versions stable and alpha) seem to produce
corrupted data. However, no errors are produced either through SCSI
debugging in the syslogs or from cdrecord itself.
        I burn under 2.2.16 and there isn't a problem. Just something is
very subtly corrupting data under 2.4. I say subtle, because I can
sometimes only find maybe a 100 bytes out between binary files. Other
times it is much more. There seems to be no pattern to it and yet the same
hardware will yield valid results under 2.2.16?!

        So my question is, where in the kernel can I monitor EXACTLY what
is being sent to the SCSI drive versus what is supposed to be sent. Where
are the errors coming from? Verbose reporting only yields errors but as
there are no errors normally seen where do I go?

        Alternativly, is there something I should know about the changes
in the 2.4 scsi-subsystem from 2.2?

FYI:

Kernel : 2.4.0-test5
SCSI : Advansys APB940U Quad scsi controller
CDRW : Yamaha 8824CDRW
CPU : AMD K6-III @450 MHz
Mem : 256Mb
MB : FIC 503+
CDrecord : 1.6, 1.81, 1.9, 1.10

                Thanks for your time.

--
===

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs... you're missing something IMPORTANT!" Rob. (prolly teefed tho')