Re: Problem with APIC and ACPI

From: FORT David (fort@irin.univ-nantes.fr)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 07:27:10 EST

Johnny Luong wrote:

> See attachments.
>
> Johnny Luong
> jrl@cats.ucsc.edu

> 1. Linux APIC errors and ACPI causes my machine to shutdown.
>
> 2. I'm using linux-2.4.0-test7 and the problem seems to be somewhat odd.
> I can't nail it to any certain program or any certain process. Anyways,
> if I enable ACPI in my BIOS (with the noapic tag removed from boot), my
> machine shuts down. Also, I get APIC errors, regardless of whether or
> not I put in "noapic" on the boot line and here's a sample of what I get...
>
> APIC error on CPU1: 00(04)
> APIC error on CPU0: 00(08)
> APIC error on CPU1: 04(04)
> APIC error on CPU0: 08(02)
> APIC error on CPU0: 02(04)
> APIC error on CPU1: 04(08)
>
> Some of it doesn't even make sense according to the comments in the apic
> code and I'm not even sure how it's called.
>
> 3. kernel, ACPI APIC
>
> 4. Linux version 2.4.0-test7 (root@localhost) (gcc version egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)) #1 SMP Sun Aug 27 14:58:06 PDT 2000
>
> 7.1
> -- Versions installed: (if some fields are empty or look
> -- unusual then possibly you have very old versions)
> Linux localhost 2.4.0-test7 #1 SMP Sun Aug 27 14:58:06 PDT 2000 i686 unknown
> Kernel modules 2.3.10-pre1
> Gnu C egcs-2.91.66
> Binutils 2.9.5.0.22
> Linux C Library 2.1.3
> Dynamic linker ldd (GNU libc) 2.1.3
> Procps 2.0.6
> Mount 2.10f
> Net-tools 1.54
> Console-tools 0.3.3
> Sh-utils 2.0
> Modules Loaded ppp_deflate bsd_comp ppp_async ppp_generic slhc tuner bttv i2c-algo-bit videodev eeprom w83781d sensors i2c-isa i2c-piix4 i2c-core eepro100 nls_iso8859-1 nls_cp437 vfat fat opl3 sb sb_lib uart401 sound soundcore

I think the first thing to do is read Documentation/CHANGES before running anything(modutils.....), next the
ACPI is notoriously buggy on BP6 Mobo (i have one, so.....) so perhaps you should consider setting it off.

I think the CHANGES file should be changes for something with a file giving software requirement and
another giving real changes(perhaps the fixed part of the 2.4 TODO page ), that certainly avoid having
people reporting bugs when they run wrong modutils for exemple......

--
%--IRIN->-Institut-de-Recherche-en-Informatique-de-Nantes-----------------%
% FORT David,                                                             %