SUID Patent (was RE: SCO: "thread creation is about a thousand ti mes faster than on)

From: Marty Fouts (marty@dotcast.com)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 02:36:04 EST

Unfortunately, you are incorrect. DMR did receive a US Patent (Patent
#4135240) on the SUID bit. There is at least on text on Unix security that
contains a copy of the patent in an appendix.

(see, among other sources, Peter Salus'
http://www.nluug.nl/events/sane98/aftermath/salus.html)

You can view the actual patent in the IBM patent database, by the way:

http://www.patents.ibm.com/details?&pn=US04135240__

Speaking of Salus, I believe it was Peter who coined "the difference between
theory and practice is always larger in practice."

Marty