Re: [patch] waitqueue optimization, 2.4.0-test7

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Mon Aug 28 2000 - 19:44:06 EST

On Mon, 28 Aug 2000, Ingo Molnar wrote:

>schedule_timeout() is a special case and is part of the 'scheduler
>subsystem'. Using wakeup_process() in that case is justified.

What I meant is that any module could need to implement a functionality of
the kind of schedule_timeout() for whatever reason. In an usage like
process_timeout() the use of wake_up_process() is the obviously right one,
thus I thought that it made sense to export wake_up_process() to a module
too. It must not be misused of course, but I don't exclude there could be
a legitimate case where it's more appropriate than using a waitqueue.

Andrea