Re: problems with modules in test6 and test7 kernels

From: Juan J. Quintela (quintela@fi.udc.es)
Date: Mon Aug 28 2000 - 18:26:25 EST

>>>>> "pollywog" == Pollywog <pollywog@shadypond.com> writes:

pollywog> It appears that something is different in the way modules are started in the
pollywog> test6 and test7 kernels. When I boot to one of these kernels, I get lots of
pollywog> module errors and my machine locks up mid-boot.

pollywog> I use Debian, and I suspect perhaps Debian's way of making kernel packages
pollywog> does not yet know how to cope with the changes.

pollywog> Is there some place where I can RTM and find out what is going on?
pollywog> The documentation that comes with the test kernel did not answer my questions.

pollywog> I have no problem booting to test kernel 5 so this is something that just
pollywog> changed in test6 kernel.

Are you using the last versions of packages that appear in
linux/Documentation/Changes. Lastest kernels require the last
modutils version, and it will not work with previous ones.

Later, Juan.

are different -- Larry McVoy