Intel Corporation 440LX/EX DMA problems

From: safemode (safemode@voicenet.com)
Date: Sun Aug 27 2000 - 13:18:39 EST

I posted something similar to this a few days ago and it was ignored.
Using 2.4.0-test7 I've had to disable all drives using DMA just so I
dont crash while doing intensive (insane?) tasks such as compiling
mozilla. DMA timeouts and the box just locks up. While in console and
this happens i can still move the mouse around and use the keyboard..
but the hdd's are gone. When in X, total system lockup occurs and
nothing works (probably due to the fact most of the time X has stuff in
swap). I need to know what revelvant info anyone wants to know in order
to see if this is a kernel problem or just bad hardware. This
motherboard is using genuine intel chipset but the manufacturer may have
changed some important things. Tell me what info to give you and I'll
get it. I would very much like to have my harddrives using DMA sometime
in the future under linux. Oh, and it's NOT the drives fault, DMA was
working fine for them in the past.