Re: SCO: "thread creation is about a thousand times faster than on

From: Mitchell Blank Jr (mitch@sfgoth.com)
Date: Sun Aug 27 2000 - 08:05:19 EST

Mark Kettenis wrote:
> The current draft for IEEE Std. 1003.1-200x says:
>
> "A call to any exec function from a process with more than one thread
> results in all threads being terminated and the new executable image
> being loaded and executed. No destructor functions shall be called."

Grumble... and I suppose a failed execve() needs to return an error
to that one thread, but a succesful one needs to atomically destroy all
the other threads... And HOW is this supposed to be implemented?

The previous version of the standard had this right - just leave it
undefined and let the OS try to do something sane. Hopefully this part
will get nixed before the final revision.

-Mitch